Are you missing something in your marriage like friendship, intimacy or trust? For some couples it’s no longer a question of if they will get divorced but when. For other couples the marriage is neither good nor bad but rather indifferent. For the last group of individuals the marriage is over. Where does your marriage fall and could you use 9 tips for improving your marriage?
Listed below are the 9 tips you should consider to try to help your marriage improve:
1) Stop criticizing things your spouse says and does
2) Respect your spouse in public and in private
3) Don’t expect your spouse to fill your every need
4) Keep the past in the past and try to live today and for the future
5) Seek forgiveness from your spouse for things you have done wrong
6) Forgive your spouse for his or her wrong doings
7) Do something good (words or deeds) for your spouse at least once per day
8) Be attentive when interacting with your spouse (turn away from the phones, computers, tablets and other gadgets) and show a genuine interest toward your spouse
You may have noticed that not one of the tips noted have anything to do with your spouse making any changes. I offered no suggestions on how to get your spouse to do things your way. There are no insights on how to make your spouse stop doing things that annoy you. I rarely offer such advice because it’s generally a waste of time. Your spouse will change once you change the atmosphere of your marriage.
If you really want to improve your marriage, I believe you need to focus on the things that you can control. You can choose to continue to go to war each day with your spouse or you can change your strategy and offer kindness instead of bitterness. You can choose to be peaceful or angry over every little thing.
Improving your marriage is very possible. You might feel like giving up but please don’t. Your marriage is worth fighting for and you must give it your all. I know it’s hard but hang in there. You are climbing up the rough side of the mountain. It gets easier when you focus on the most important things in your marriage. For more information, please see here; Click Here!